Observations and Overflow

Monday, August 15, 2005

Water, Water, Everywhere ...

They’re everywhere; at the mall, in the car, at the store, on the kitchen counter, in the pews at church, at the park, by the pond, at the seminar, anywhere a human is, there, they shall be. No, I’m not speaking about the glorious cellular phone that at times seems to be biologically fused to everyone’s hand and ear. I am speaking about the water bottle.

Like an oat bran tornado the ‘drink water’ crowd has taken up residence and they are certainly showing no signs that they are slowing for the markets keep on growing. Unlike a delicious Wonka bar expansion our obsession with drinking water has brought a new level of annoyance to the social gathering.

Health reasons notwithstanding, the ‘feed my thirst’ brigade has infiltrated our social fabric and the mildew is spreading. Barely can one have a conversation without them pausing ever so trendily to sip on the spout of their favorite water bottle. This aqua-feeding is almost as annoying as the backpack craze where people of all ages carry around half of their earthly possessions in frameless packs looking like vagabond despots heading into exile.

Hyponatremians beware. Trends come and go, but living on the edge as a bloated amphibian may be fatal. If the Lord wanted us to consume that much water through constant sipping he would have given us trunks for noses. If you feel the need to join the water craze please have enough courtesy to sip in private and the next time you order a water, no ice, with lemon at lunch, I’m going to call your cell phone from across the table.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some strange reason my wife and I have bought into the concept of purchasing mass quantities of bottled water...only to use those equally stupid Crystal Light "On the Go" packets with them.

I've been taught to think that city water is "bad for you". :-)

Monday, August 15, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brita is better.

Monday, August 15, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...That's quite a screed there Fibby. I'm not sure I get your beef. I don't notice that this is any more prevelant than the ever present coffee or soda can in others. And water is a whole lot better for you.

And, while I don't order silly requirements like lemon no/ice, I do frequently order water at lunch, as I fail to see the value in paying for a soda when I don't need it.

Oh, and while I don't usually drink during conversation, I do usually carry a water bottle...and if I'm not drinking out of it, it's in my backpack's pouch just for that. Along with my bible, greek textbook, current book, laptop, and an assortment of work related accessories (pens, paper, PCMCIA cards, USB sticks, cds, floppy disks, business cards, etc)

Guess I'm a walking embodyment of your pet peeve. A backpack is a whole lote more convenient to carry than a 10lb briefcase though, and it's generally better on my back.

Monday, August 15, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan, incidentally, city water isn't necessarily bad for you, but it can be. And at least down here, quite frequently is. Accidents happen, a little too frequently, and stuff gets into the water. And then people get warned after the first hundred or so get sick. Thanks but no thanks.

Monday, August 15, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, you've put my mind (and my wallet) to rest.

:-D

Go Crystal Light!

Monday, August 15, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Seo Blog - free, no ads homepage hosting! Start your website today! Publishing and journaling with ease!