Observations and Overflow

Monday, June 20, 2005

You Stink


I had a cigarette smoker tell me today that my cigar stunk. Somehow my odoriferousness had managed to repel he who is most mephitic and that got me thinking.

What have cigarette smokers done to deserve being put on the Most Wanted list? I’m a bit tired of seeing them swarming around buildings like ill-behaved locusts in time out.

I don’t like cigarette smoke either but is this really necessary? I’m typing this entry on a laptop. This marvel of modernity certainly contains enough technological evidence proving that we should be able to figure out a way to properly ventilate a room so as to not have to send away our nicotine laden neighbors scurrying off to grab another fix. I can’t accept the fact that something other than forced retreats is not a viable and more humane solution.

I saw a man riding down the street on a motorcycle with no helmet on his head. Some seem to be willing to fight for the right to watch his cranium bounce down Hwy 49 after being hit by an impatient pickup truck, yet they are adamant about shoving Ms. Martha onto the porch to inhale and wheeze.

And then I began to think about flatulence and obnoxious perfumes and the incredible amount of longsuffering that must be exercised towards those who consume methane producing meals and who have little to no sense of what a dab is suppose to mean.

And what about supercalifragilisticexpiahalitosis where otherwise endearing and visually stimulating denizens become noxious dragons, shaking even the most firm follicles from one’s olfactories. Are these malodorous folk to be banished into their own stench corral?

Oh, I hear what you are saying now. There’s no such thing as cancer causing secondhand halitosis. And if that easy rider wipes out having his brains instantly becoming couscous my lungs will still be preserved.

I suppose it simply boils down to “I know you are but what am I?” yet once again.

5 Comments:

Blogger BlackCalvinist aka G.R.A.C.E. Preecha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, June 20, 2005

 
Blogger BlackCalvinist aka G.R.A.C.E. Preecha said...

Cig smoker telling you that your cigar stinks.

Kettle.
Pot.


LOL

Kerry

Monday, June 20, 2005

 
Blogger Lockheed said...

They can take my tabacco from me when they pry it from my scorched, stained skeleton... they may have to move the beer first.

Friday, July 01, 2005

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely agree. Don't worry though, the things you mention are on the agenda for the health nazis, who are just certain they know better than us what is best for us. So we should just shut up and listen.

Just right now they're busy banning trans-fats from restaurants. They'll get to cigars, and motorcycle helmets, and who knows what else eventually.

If a private business wants to ban cigarette smoke from its establishment, it's well within its rights to do so. As it is to invite it and welcome it. We are all free to seek employment -- and dinner -- in whichever type of establishment appeals to us.

To suggest everyone has a right to a smoke free environment, and that smokers are somehow second-class citizens who barely have a right to exist let alone to seek out locations where they might enjoy their habit in the company of like-minded folks is just absurd.

(And no, bad breath doesn't cause cancer, but second-hand smoke doesn't really either in the quantities being discussed here. The risks of second-hand smoke have been greatly inflated to lend strength to their legislative efforts)

And, this isn't self-serving: I've never smoked anything. Not a Cigar, a cigarette, or a joint. I just recognize my job as a parent of 4 is enough, I don't need to be making choices for everyone else's children too.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Well that didn't take long:

A Detroit city employee who says she can't work because a co-worker's perfume is too strong is suing the city.

Susan McBride's lawsuit, filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Detroit, says the work environment is in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

McBride wants a ban on such scents at work — and unspecified damages.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Seo Blog - free, no ads homepage hosting! Start your website today! Publishing and journaling with ease!